Postdoctoral Fellow (Bastepe Lab) Click here to download description
GENERAL SUMMARY/ OVERVIEW STATEMENT:
A Postdoctoral Fellow position is available in the laboratory of Dr. Murat Bastepe in the Endocrine Unit at the Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH). MGH is a Harvard Medical School (HMS)-affiliated hospital. This is a full-time position with an affiliated Research Fellow appointment proposed at Harvard Medical School (HMS). This position is contingent upon successful credentialing by the MGH Registrar/Credentialing Unit.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Conduct cell-based in vitro experiments, combined with in vivo analyses of several different mouse models to study the role of Gq/11-PKC signaling in the synthesis of FGF23 in bone. The main focus will be the mechanisms governing FGF23 production in response to lysophosphatidic acid and in the setting of different renal failure models. Studies will also address the role of this signaling pathway in phosphate- and 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D-induced FGF23 synthesis. The project will lead to improved understanding of basic biological mechanisms important for mineral ion homeostasis.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- The candidate will have a PhD, MD, or MD/PhD in the biomedical sciences, with experience in molecular/cell biology, biochemistry, and animal model systems.
- This position offers excellent opportunity to learn and apply skills relevant to GPCR and G protein signaling, endocrinology, and the genetic causes of disease. Qualified candidates should be able to work independently as well as in a group environment.
- The environment is a well-equipped, well-staffed research laboratory.
- No direct patient contact will occur.
- Studies with rats or mice will occur.
- Work hours flexible and generally conducted over a forty-hour workweek.
We strive for impactful science in a collegial and highly-collaborative environment. Career development is a major priority. Post-doctoral fellows will benefit from connections to premier academic laboratories, hospitals, and research institutions in the greater Boston biomedical environment. MGH and HMS are affirmative action/equal opportunity employers.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, CV and contact information for at least three references to:
Murat Bastepe, MD, PhD
MGH, Endocrine Unit
Thier Building, Room 1035
50 Blossom Street
Boston, MA 02114 USA