Histology & Histomorphometry Services
The goals of the P30 Histology Core are to:
- Provide guidance and mentorship to all investigators interested in the design and execution of studies required to analyze skeletal phenotypes;
- Provide consultation, mentorship and routine services at highly discounted prices to junior investigators
- Provide initial consultation and subsidized services to established investigators.
- Establish new protocols for phenotyping including in situ hybridization (ISH), immunohistochemistry (IHC), lineage tracing, non-traditional histomorphometry.
- Provide ongoing formal education and training on all services offered by the Core.
Close interactions with the Imaging, Bone Cells and Signaling Cores will assure coordinated studies permitting imaging, histology, cell isolation, RNA and signaling analyses on skeletal elements from a single subject. To coordinate these services, please contact the relevant core directors.
Description of services and protocols for sample preparation
- Consultation with Director or technicians available by appointment. Initial consultation for assistance in experimental design or protocol troubleshooting (IHC or ISH) provided at no charge.
- Paraffin processing, embedding, sectioning
- Embedding and sectioning of decalcified frozen sections
- Embedding and sectioning of fresh, non-decalcified frozen sections
- Resin processing, embedding, and sections of non-decalcified mineralized tissue
- Staining: H&E, Trichrome, Saffranin O, Von Kossa